Off-Site Graduate Programs (OSGP) offers current and prospective teachers, school administrators, and counselors a range of opportunities from professional development to a certificate or master’s degree in Education. Our graduate programs are designed for the working professional in mind. Our courses, offered throughout the year, are developed with condensed rich content through both in-person and online engagement. Please see below for off-site programs and opportunities.
Continuing Education: Faculty Led Tour to Rwanda
Questions? Contact Dr. Matthew Bender (email@example.com)
Program Dates and Highlights
Travel dates are July 19-August 3, 2024
Primary stay will be in Kigali, Rwanda (capital city) with an overnight stay at the Akegera Game Lodge. Selected excursions include:
- Nyamirambo Women’s Center
- Kigali Memorial Center at Gisozi
- Churches of Nyamata and Ntarama in Bugesera District
- Avega Agahozo (Association of Widows of the Genocide)
- Prison Fellowship Rwanda
- Nyarubuye Genocide Memorial
- Vision 2020 Community of Gashora
- Ministry of National Unity and Civic Engagement
- Youth Association for Human Rights Promotion and Development
- Akegera National Park (two-day Safari)
- Kimironko Market
In April 1994, genocide broke out in this small country of 8 million people, with Hutu extremists targeting the minority Tutsi population and moderate Hutus. It lasted for 100 days and took the lives of nearly 1 million. In the thirty years since, the country has made tremendous progress in rebuilding, and now has one of the fastest growing economies in the world.
This two-week program aligns with the 30-year anniversary of the Genocide. It features daily immersive experiences, meant to help participants learn more about the country and its peoples. Participants will meet with genocide survivors and perpetrators, learn about efforts to rebuild and heal, and discuss controversies related to reconciliation, rebuilding, governance, and memory.
Participants will also experience the beauty of Rwanda and its people. In addition to cultural activities, ranging from dance and art to cooking, the tour will visit Akagera National Park for a 2-day safari experience. There participants will see the region’s largest protected wetland and many of Africa’s “Big Five” animals.
Unlike alumni and continuing education offered at many universities, this experience led by TCNJ’s own experts in the field. Dr. Matthew Bender is a specialist in modern African history and regularly teaches a course in the History of the Rwanda Genocide. Dr. Cynthia Paces is an expert in Holocaust history. This tour is an engaged learning experience, not just a vacation.
The program fee of $5,721 includes the following expenses:
- Provider program fee ($4,685)
- GEO Blue International Medical and Emergency Insurance ($36)
- Instructional fee ($1,000) Due as deposit in February 2024
Included in the above costs are:
- Housing (hotels, double occupancy, $490 extra single supplement)
- All in-country transportation
- Weekend safari at Akagera National Park
- All entrance fees
- All breakfasts plus some additional meals
Excluded estimated expenses include:
- Airfare (~$1,600)
- Visa (~$50, paid on arrival)
- Non-group lunches and dinners
Join us to learn more about the Rwanda tour. Two online information sessions are scheduled for:
- November 29 at 7pm EST
- December 16 at 10am EST
- January 3 at 7:30pm EST
Please register for an information session here. Upon receipt, you will receive a Zoom link.
Fulbright Hays Abroad Program
This opportunity is open exclusively to staff and administrators from TCNJ’s Professional Development School Network who teach or lead in the following areas: social studies/history, art, PE/health, school counseling, and nurses.
Fulbright Hays Grant Opportunity
The Department of World Languages and Cultures at TCNJ received a Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad Program grant to support a group project in Taiwan. The grant will allow TCNJ and its P–12 partner schools in New Jersey to enhance the study of Mandarin and Taiwanese cultural studies. The program consists of a series of preparatory seminar discussions, four-weeks abroad in Taiwan hosted by National Taiwan Normal University, and post-departure reflection and curricular reform workshops. After engaging in the seminar, participants will infuse content into their existing curriculum and/or develop new curriculum.
Supervisor Certificate (fully online)
Through Off-Site Graduate Programs, candidates can complete the 12-credit (four class) Supervisor Certificate online in just one year. This program is a focused course of study in supervision and curriculum and prepares teachers to earn a NJ Supervisor Administrative Certificate. Candidates must hold or be working toward a master’s degree to participate in this program.
For academic advisement, consult Dr. Linda Mayger (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Summer Term (Two Sessions)
- CURR 514 Curriculum Theory and Practice
- EDAD 617 Advanced School Leadership and Supervision
- SUPV 520 Staff Supervision
- CURR 555 Advanced Curriculum
- Classes meet synchronously on weekends only
- Ability to study alongside New Jersey and international teachers and school leaders
- Discounted, off-site tuition (please see details here)
Teacher Leader Certificate (District-Based Courses)
Through an integrated and thoughtfully sequenced 15-credit series of five courses, the Teacher Leader Certificate Program prepares teachers for non-supervisory leadership roles, such as facilitator, coach, and professional developer.
Interested? Contact Megan Gordon (email@example.com) for more information on developing a Teacher Leader Certificate cohort in your school district.
Teaching English as a Second Language/Bilingual Education
Master of Education (M.Ed.) and/or Certificate Programs
TESL and/or Bilingual Education Certificate Program (Traditional Cohort, 1/course semester)
The TESL program offers a track for pre-service participants (21 credits, an initial certification program for those not certified in an instructional area) as well as in-service teachers (15 credits, as an endorsement certificate for those who hold a CEAS or Standard certificate in an instructional area).
The Bilingual Education program provides the necessary courses for certification as a bilingual teacher in the state of New Jersey. This endorsement program (12 credits) is only for already-certified teachers. Teachers seeking Bilingual endorsement often also pursue TESL endorsement as it requires the completion of only one additional course.
Program Planner for M.Ed. and Certificate Programs
Please refer to the program planner for all course requirements.
Urban Teacher Residency Program
Elementary, Secondary, Teaching ESL
Become an Urban Educator with TCNJ’s Urban Teacher Residency Program
- Earn a TCNJ Master’s of Education in a NJ State approved certification area
- Open to anyone with a BA/BS and wants to become a teacher GPA requirements in effect
- Diversify the field with more teachers of color
- Recruit for hard-to-staff areas such as math and science
- Prepare teachers who can improve the academic achievement of Black and Latina/o students in urban schools
Questions? Contact Dr. Salika Lawrence (firstname.lastname@example.org), Professor & Campbell Endowed Chair of Urban Education