How to Apply for Admission
FIRST – What is my student status?
- Matriculated: Student has applied and has been admitted to a TCNJ Global Graduate Program. Go directly to the next step – Course selection and advisement and then follow the next steps below.
- Non-Matriculated (Overseas Visitor): Student has not yet applied for admissions (see below) or is in the process of applying for admissions; Student has previously taken a TCNJ graduate course (maximum of 3 graduate courses, 9-credits allowed). Go directly to “How to apply for Admissions” – below.
- New Student: Student has not taken a graduate course with TCNJ. A new student MUST submit a Visiting Student Application online with The Office of Graduate Studies.
All students who plan on taking more than three graduate courses MUST apply for admissions before they reach the 9-credit threshold. Students will not be able to register for courses beyond the 9-credit threshold.
If you are not sure what your status is, you may view your academic program plan in PAWS (under the academic tab) or email our office at email@example.com.
1. Submit a Graduate Application
Please complete and submit an online global graduate application with The Office of Graduate Studies. The application fee is $75.00 (waived for former TCNJ students who have completed either an undergraduate or graduate program).
2. Official Transcripts
Sealed official transcripts from each college you have attended. Please mail official transcripts directly to the address located on the Office of Graduate and Advancing Education website. For questions about admission materials, please contact them directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students who have attended a non-US institution MUST have all educational documents evaluated by an independent organization. OSGP shares, but does not endorse, the following two credential evaluation services for your convenience: NACES and WES.
Two Recommendation Forms: Secure two individuals and have them complete a recommendation form on your behalf. They must be able to evaluate your academic performance, relevant work experience, and/or ability to pursue graduate work.
The letters of recommendation can be uploaded with your online application.
For questions about admission materials, please contact the Office of Graduate and Advancing Education directly at email@example.com
4. Student Essay
Applicants must write a 1-2 page personal statement expressing professional goals and reasons for applying to TCNJ. The student essay may be uploaded along with your online graduate application.
For questions about admission materials, please contact the Office of Graduate and Advancing Education directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Standardized Test Scores
Achieve a passing score on one of the following assessments:
1.Praxis Core: Reading – 156; Math – 150; Writing – 162
- Free online test resources (ETS and Khan Academy) are available to students to help prepare them for the Praxis Core.
3. International applicants whose native language is not English MUST sit for the Test of English of a Foreign Language (TOFEL).
All test scores MUST be sent to The College of New Jersey (#2519).
If a candidate completed and passed the Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST / Praxis I) prior to June 2014, the Department will accept passing scores on those exams to satisfy the basic skills requirement (passing scores on the PPST are as follows: Reading: 175, Math: 174, Writing: 173).
For questions concerning admission materials, please contact the Office of Graduate and Advancing Education directly at email@example.com.
Students can submit their resumé/CV on-line with their graduate application.
7. Copy of Teaching Certificate
Candidates (US Citizens) looking to apply to the Post Master’s Certificate Program (Principal Certificate of Eligibility) MUST submit a copy of a valid provisional or standard NJ or equivalent out-of-state instructional educational services or administrative certificate.
8. School Counseling Program (only)
When applying for admissions through the Office of Graduate and Advancing Education there is an addendum. For more details about the admission materials needed, please contact the Office of Graduate and Advancing Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Steps from Admission to Certificate
Below are flow charts that outline the requirements for Admissions, Certificate of Qualification (CQ), and Certificate for Eligibility (CE) for the following certificate programs.
- Elementary Education Admission to Certificate
- Secondary Education Admission to Certificate
- Teaching English as a Second Language
- Post-Master’s Certificate in Educational Leadership